Keep Well This Winter is a campaign which aims to provide information and support to people aged 65 and over to enable them to keep well this winter.
The campaign, which runs from September to February, is organised by the Welsh Assembly Government and brings together a range of initiatives, from government and the voluntary sector, into one concerted programme.
The three Keep Well This Winter themes are: Keep Well, Keep Warm, Keep Safe
- Get a free flu jab if you are over 65, or younger with certain conditions - contact your GP.
- Eating a varied and balanced diet can help you stay healthy, active and independent. Get a free Food Standards Agency Wales guide: 029 2067 8999.
- Stay active to keep your body supple and your mind alert.
- Call NHS Direct Wales for health advice and information 24 hours a day on 0845 46 47.
- You should try to keep your rooms heated to a temperature of 21oC.
- The Home Energy Efficiency Scheme may be able to insulate your home or install central heating for free: 0800 316 2815.
- Saving energy saves money. Call the Energy Efficiency Advice Centres for more information: 0800 512 012
- Need financial help to keep your home warm? Call Age Concern Cymru on 029 2037 1566 or The Pension Service on 0800 99 1234 for information.
- Avoid slips & trips: consider installing grab rails, level shower access, and suitable lighting.
- Feel secure: fit appropriate locks, door chains or a spy hole in the front door.
- Care & Repair Cymru offers advice and practical assistance with repairs, grants and adaptations. Call 029 2057 6286.
- Keep an eye on friends, neighbours and those on their own during the difficult winter months.
There are a number of strategic partners involved in the Keep Well This Winter campaign. They are Age Concern Cymru, Care & Repair Cymru, Food Standards Agency, Energy Saving Trust (Wales), EAGA Partnership, NHS Direct Wales, National Public Health Service, RNIB, Wales Fire Service, Wales Pension Service, and the Wales Youth Agency.
For news about Keep Well This Winter, and events in your area see the portfolio pages.
If you want any more information or advice about keeping well, keeping warm and keeping safe over the winter months, or for any more information about the campaign, call NHS Direct Wales on 0845 4647.